Tooth Decay Causes and Treatment
by Puneet Kathuria | July 11, 2017
In today’s time, most of the individuals are facing various types of dental problems among which tooth decay is a common one. Since the lifestyle and eating habits have changed a lot, tooth decay can be commonly seen in almost every other dental patient.
In today’s time, most of the individuals are facing various types of dental problems among which tooth decay is a common one. Since the lifestyle and eating habits have changed a lot, tooth decay can be commonly seen in almost every other dental patient. Therefore, it is essential to understand that tooth decay can be prevented as well as can be treated in cases of tooth decay or dental caries.
Here are some of the important causes of tooth decay which lead to the degradation of the health of the tooth in an individual’s mouth:-
- Excessive intake of sugar and related food stuff leads to the causation of the tooth decay. Also, sticky foods cause degradation of the teeth gradually with time.
- Extreme dieting is one of the less known reasons for the tooth decay. But in the recent times, it is important to understand that dieting at an extreme rate can lead to the tooth decay in several individuals. This is due to the reason that the particular person does not get the required minerals and nutrients necessary for the proper maintenance of the tooth.
- Increased imbalance in the diet. Nowadays, some individuals are getting attracted to readily available fast foods in the recent times. But these fast foods are usually responsible for the starting of the tooth decay in the individuals. Therefore, it is essential to know that fast foods can be one of the prime reasons for the occurrence of the tooth decay.
So, if you are an individual who has decayed tooth or teeth, then it’s time to get them treated before it’s too late. If you procrastinate, then you won’t be able to save your teeth and might also have to get the particular teeth extracted.
Here are the major dental treatment options for the tooth decay.
- Dental Restorations: This is one of the prime and essential dental treatments which are utilized for the treatment of the decayed tooth. Therefore, it is essential to consult dentist regarding your decayed teeth. If your teeth decay is in the initial stage, then dental restorations or cosmetic fillings can do wonders for your teeth. This will help you to save your teeth and avoid any further degradation of the natural teeth. Amalgam fillings or Glass Ionomer Cement restorations are the commonly utilized in the dental restoration procedures.
- Dental crowns: In case, an increased amount of tooth structure is degraded, and the teeth cannot hold large restorations after removal of the tooth structure then dental crowns are placed on such tooth. It provides the tooth ability to bear chewing forces and makes it aesthetically sound.
- Root Canal Treatments: If the decay of the tooth has reached the pulp, then root canal treatment is carried out. It helps the tooth to survive after removing the damaged pulp of the tooth.
In this way, tooth decay has various aspects, and it can be prevented and treated when diagnosed at the right time.